Friday 26 May 2017

Envionment/Asset Design- The Percussion District- Conveyors and Machines

A key scene in Reds journey through the Percussion District is his landing and subsequent ride on a suspiciously xylophone-like conveyor belt. 

I wanted to keep the graduated length of the bars as much as I could in the initial designs. As you can see I tried a graduating effect on 1, using wooden Xylophone for inspiration. Design 2 was a more direct copy of the metal bars and the way you'd expect to see them on the instrument.


Sadly those earlier designs would have been overly complicated, especially when adding the machinery for Reds moments of peril. Drawing on the metal version of 2 I simply levelled out the bars. I then created a sketch of the conveyor with some of its machines.


With all these design factors in mind I felt the need to sketch out a little concept of Red in situ.
Oblivious
Finally here are the designs for some additional machinery. The first being a crusher of sorts based on the Timpani drum turned upside down, mounted in a frame of chimes. The second is a system of rollers made out of drums and driven by Tambourine gears.


No comments:

Post a Comment